Position: Social Practitioner
Reports To: Unit Leader
Fountain House, a world-renowned community mental health organization, successfully addresses the devastating impact of serious mental illness. Founded in New York City in 1948 with the belief that people living with mental illness can be active participants in their own and each other’s recovery. Each year, over 1,300 members come to Fountain House to contribute their talents, learn new skills, access opportunities and forge new friendships.
Fountain House creates a culture that transforms lives. Our members, in partnership with staff, operate employment, education, housing and wellness programs. They perform all activities, including advocacy, administrative support, building maintenance and food preparation that keep our community going. Members hold jobs, graduate from schools, develop social networks and experience fewer hospitalizations and improved overall health. Increased fulfillment, sense of purpose, and stability inevitably follow.
Fountain House has inspired the creation of hundreds of similar programs in 34 countries that serve more than 100,000 people annually. In 2014, the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation recognized our global reach and the efficacy of our evidence-based model with the prestigious Conrad N. Hilton Humanitarian Prize.
Fountain House provides professional development opportunities and promotes from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires personal growth and development.
A Social Practitioner utilizes community as a therapeutic tool to address the negative or social symptoms often associated with Serious Mental Illness (SMI.) Fountain House is looking for creative, dynamic and community-focused individuals to provide direct support to adults with serious mental illness in an innovative community-based program. For nearly seventy years, Fountain House has used a person-in-environment approach to create working communities that help individuals with mental illness to successfully manage their recovery. Candidates would join a team of staff, and individuals with mental illness to create a holistic community of recovery that follows our evidence-based model.
*This position does not provide clinical supervision or hours towards a LCSW.
- Utilize the community to design positive interventions to deal with common barriers such as social isolation, poor self-esteem, anxiety, symptom management, and poverty.
- Create access to environments outside of Fountain House that are not therapeutically oriented to build general skills, a sense of confidence, and to support members’ self‑efficacy. This includes the provision of on-site support in employment, education, and housing environments outside of Fountain House.
- Develop relationships with Fountain House members and the community as a whole that can be leveraged to: provide support for positive change and risk-taking; combat social isolation and increase meaningful connections; and introduce members to new opportunities.
- Engineer various environments and social interactions to create therapeutic results and develop an accessible positive community.
- Observe and assess experiences with members in a variety of naturalistic environments in order to create specific interventions for individuals’ rehabilitation.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Must possess current and valid U.S. work authorization and be eligible to work for any U.S. employer without sponsorship.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Positive, dynamic and engaging personality.
- Flexibility, as demonstrated by interchangeability with other staff on the unit, staying late or arriving early, if necessary to fulfill unit or member needs.
- Must be able to work Monday – Friday: 9AM to 5PM and occasionally work on evenings, weekends, and some holidays.
- Experience working with individuals with serious mental illness and or/hands on experience working in a community setting.
Starting Salary: $45K
- Paid Time Off Accrued for maximum of 23 days
- Ten (10) Paid Holidays
- Paid Bereavement Leave
- Medical, dental and vision plans
- Life Insurance paid by Fountain House (2x salary)
- Optional Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Supplemental Short-Term Disability
- Tuition Assistance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
- 403(b) Retirement Plan