Position Title: Gallery Assistant
Reports To: Gallery Director and Program Director
Work Location: 702 9th Avenue, New York, New York 10019
Employment Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Serious mental illness affects 23 million people in the United States each year. The stigma, rejection, and isolation that accompany mental illness are often as damaging and debilitating as the illness itself.
Fountain House reduces the devastating social impact of mental illness. Every day, hundreds of members choose to come to Fountain House to contribute their talents, learn new skills, access opportunities, and form friendships. Members and staff operate successful employment, education, wellness programs and work as partners to perform all the functions that keep our community going. Our activities and programs are designed to provide opportunities while producing the desire and confidence to pursue them. Working together, we create a culture that transforms lives. The Fountain House model has been replicated in more than 300 locations in 30 countries and 32 states and currently serves more than 100,000 people with mental illness worldwide. As originators of this approach, we provide leadership by constantly advancing the practice and by leading the conversation around mental health recovery. As a result, Fountain House has created a comprehensive Community System of Care. This includes a Clubhouse in both, Manhattan and the Bronx, Care Management, Home and Community‑Based Services and a large housing program ranging from 24 hour supervised residences to scattered site supported apartments. We are dedicated to improving the lives of individuals and helping members reach their potential.
Fountain House is seeking a full-time gallery assistant to provide general support to the Program Director and Gallery Director. This assistant will be participating in running the daily operations of the gallery and working with the member-artists who volunteer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Daily administrative tasks – answer phones, write emails, etc.
- Interface with visitors and possible clients on artwork sales.
- Oversee and maintain artwork databases, including mailing lists, digital inventory and artist information.
- Participate in the planning and installation of in-house shows and external exhibitions.
- Engage member-artists to participate in daily work and long-term projects.
- Send communication to member-artists about upcoming events, deadlines and information.
- Assist with maintenance of gallery website, Artsy and social media pages.
- Help with accounting to ensure payments to vendors, artists, etc.
- Open and/or close the gallery.
- Assist with events such as opening receptions, etc.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Responsibilities:
- Interest in mental health preferred.
- Strong knowledge and interest in the gallery world and contemporary art.
- Studio art and/or art history background.
- Detail-oriented and strong written, oral and communication skills.
- Punctuality and flexibility, as demonstrated by ability to stay late or arrive early, if necessary, to complete projects by deadline.
- Fluency in Mac platform with MS Office, experience with Photoshop a plus.
- Experience with social media platforms; Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, etc.
Required and Preferred Education, Experience and Credentials:
- Minimum of one (1) year gallery experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Ability to perform the essential job functions consistently, safely and successfully with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state, and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Must be comfortable going up and down stairs, moving and carrying artwork and other supplies.
To apply for this position, review our websites at www.fountainhouse.org/ www.fountainhousegallery.org and please submit your resume, cover letter and salary requirements via e‑mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fountain House, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At this time Fountain House, Inc. is not able to sponsor visas.
Note: This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required. The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not to be construed as a contract for employment.