Digital Engagement Director
We are at a moment of both peril and opportunity. A pandemic and protests spotlight the disparities in our nation, and the systemic undermining of human dignity for centuries. Those living with mental illness – especially if they are people of color – are among those most marginalized and at risk. But there is promise. The Clubhouse model, pioneered by Fountain House at its NYC base and inspiring 300 other Clubhouses worldwide that work with 100,000 people living with mental illness to access their potential, is a movement poised to grow, take action, and drive change.
Working with new leadership and an expanding communications and external affairs team, we intend to seize the moment and our ambitions are high but sharp. Together, we will change the narrative around mental illness, build our advocacy base, and drive policy change that intersects with and is part of a broader social justice movement.
Digital engagement is key to our strategy, and that’s where you come in. We are seeking an experienced and entrepreneurial Digital Engagement Director to shape our strategy and deploy best-in-class digital tactics to drive change, and to partner with internal and external stakeholders and thought leaders. This means you will test messages, execute campaigns, grow audiences, reach influencers, and elevate our brand. Candidates must be excellent communicators, on the cutting edge of digital technology, expert project managers, caring mentors, adept in racial equity, and have high EQ (thoughtfulness, empathy, and self-awareness).
The Digital Engagement Director reports to the Senior Vice President and Chief External Affairs Officer and will work closely with the development team on fundraising and marketing efforts.
What We Need in You
- Expertise and passion. You see ahead of the curve about the potential for audience engagement and digital communications. Your skills range from multimedia web-based storytelling, to crafting compelling strategic digital campaigns including socially shareable graphics and data visualizations, to engaging influencers and mobilizing supporters.
- Clarity and creativity. You think of new ways to tackle existing challenges and understand how to take complex messages or policy information and convey them in accessible and engaging ways. From designing a new explainer video that summarizes an issue to helping create GIFs and infographics to inform and activate new audiences, you’re constantly innovating.
- An analytic architect. You’re deep in the weeds when it comes to analyzing and growing digital audiences, building strategic campaigns, message testing, and influencer and social impact engagement. You set goals, measure the efficacy of your tactics, and adjust accordingly.
- A proven track record. You pride yourself on your deep knowledge and familiarity with best practices for digital organizing, online crowdfunding or cause-based fundraising, digital advertising, direct email, social media, and media relations based on your previous work. You don’t have to be an expert in mental health, but you need to care about social justice and to have worked in some related area of social justice digital communications.
- A commitment to racial equity. Our issues are equity issues, and most of our members are Black and brown. We see racial equity as core to our mission and work to make that explicit in the policies we advocate for as well as our internal culture.
- A caring teammate. Fountain House believes in listening to and respecting the voices of all, and as much as possible deploys a consensus approach. We work in teams in our programmatic and external-facing work, and take the idea of a team very seriously.
- At least five years of progressive digital communications experience, including staff and consultant management.
- Excellent project management skills, that shape day-to-day tactics that align with bigger goals.
- A robust track record of building successful digital campaigns – both issue-based and fundraising – that recruit influencers and maximize social impact.
- Strong experience and proven success using paid advertising.
- Experience building and managing websites
- Experience developing and testing messaging and tracking quantitative and qualitative metrics and key milestones of digital strategies, including support of the development team and donor pool expansion goals.
- Excellent writer and communicator who can adeptly distill complex information into a tweet, and brilliantly deploy digital storytelling
- Fluency with design and video software.
Salary Range: $90K with an excellent benefits package
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. We actively work to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team, and we want to hear from you. Remember, no one comes with the entire complement of skills, and no one is the perfect candidate, so don’t let a lack of experience/ skill in one specific area deter you from applying.
Fountain House is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
We’re working for a world where no one is powerless, where health for all is not just an aspiration but a reality, and where creating change is a part of everyday life. We’re just getting started and hope you’ll join us.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your resume and cover letter via e-mail to email@example.com with “Digital Engagement Director - [Your Name]” in the subject line. NO PHONE CALLS.