Fountain House is pleased to announce that it has formed a new partnership - with Charlotte Bridge Home, a community-based organization, which helps veterans in Charlotte, NC transition home after military service; JRC Advisors, LLC, a consulting firm founded and led by John Campbell, former Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for the Office of Warrior Care Policy; and Threshold GlobalWorks, LLC, which designs and implements social impact initiatives - to develop and operate VetClub, a program that will serve veterans returning from combat.
Widespread mental health conditions and the associated stigma are creating serious obstacles for the successful reintegration of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom veterans into civilian society. Consider these sobering statistics:
- Only 8.3% of New York State’s 886,000 veterans access Veterans Administration (VA) services.
- Unemployment among New York City’s youngest veterans is almost 30%, 3 times the national average.
- 20% of adults living on New York City’s streets are veterans.
- Only 1 in 5 veterans who begin study at a City University of New York (CUNY) community college will graduate within 6 years.
- Half of New York City’s veterans who live with a mental health condition do not seek treatment.
Fountain House’s unique working community approach, which empowers participants to pursue their life goals, provides social support by peers, and connects individuals with needed community resources, was recognized by the partnering organizations as the ideal model for helping veterans transition back into civilian life.
We are in the initial phase of our fundraising effort. If you would like to support VetClub, please make your tax-deductible gift here.
Director of External Affairs, Fountain House