Fountain House continues to monitor the status of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic so we can share vital information with our community and will continue to do so over the coming weeks and months. We understand that this crisis strikes directly at the heart of our model that is built on social connection, but we have had to make difficult decisions quickly to protect the health and safety of our members, staff, partners and supporters, as well as the wider NYC community.
Important Updates on Fountain House Programs and Services:
CLUBHOUSE TEMPORARILY CLOSED
- As of Friday, March 20, the physical clubhouse was temporarily closed and we have transitioned to supporting members through the virtual clubhouse.
Virtual Clubhouse (Beta)
- As of Wednesday, March 25, we have launched the virtual clubhouse. Please reference this page to get started or call: 917-727-0762 for more information.
- Fountain House is using a suite of online tools and services to connect digitally and mimic the physical clubhouse experience. This is known as “Virtual Clubhouse (Beta).” Over the following weeks, Fountain House will be launching the interactive version of “Virtual Clubhouse 1.0.”, but in the meantime, we encourage you to start testing out our current virtual network of Zoom, Slack and Facebook accounts.
Important Update on Stimulus Payments:
- If you are a recipient of SSI/SSDI you will not be required to file a “simple” tax return in order to receive the $1200 stimulus payment under the CARES Act. The payment will be based on your 2018 return, and sent to you via your previously determined preferred method (either check or direct deposit). Upon receiving the payment, please take note of the date of payment and the amount for your records.
- You can check the status of your payment using the following IRS tool: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment.
- Due to potential delays in fulfillment and delivery of medications, it is important that you take stock of all medications you have been prescribed for either physical or mental health reasons. If you have less than two weeks supply of medication, we advise to request a refill with your doctor.
- If 5 days before your script is finished you have not been able to reach your prescriber, please let your FH worker know and we will assist you in getting the prescriptions filled.
Continuing Member Supports
- Meds, Money and Mail deliveries can be coordinated through Stephanie Everett or your unit worker. Call 212-582-0340 or go to Slack channel Chat_Bank
- The new Warm-line number is 917-795-8309. Calls made to the old warmline number will be forwarded to the new one. Please note that the Warm-line is not available Monday thru Friday between 9am and 5pm. Please call the main line during these times to connect with your unit.
- The Sunday Tax Preparation at Fountain House will be postponed until June (tentatively). The Community Tax people will extend hours and find more volunteers when they return to complete member taxes. Please note the tax filing date is now July 15, 2020.
If you believe you have been exposed to COVID-19 or are asked to self-quarantine, there is a guide attached to this letter.
For the most up-to-date resources, information and guidance on the coronavirus epidemic, please consult the following resources:
Lastly, please beware of predatory practices. If strangers come to your door claiming to provide COVID-19 tests, claiming they are from the CDC or any other COVID-19 related services, do not interact with them. Scammers are also making unsolicited calls to set up testing - this is NOT an official means of setting up testing. Please contact your Doctor or Urgent Care to set up testing.
Ashwin Vasan, M.D., PhD
President and CEO, Fountain House
Assistant Professor, Mailman School of Public Health and Vagelos College of Physicians & Surgeons at Columbia University
Ralph Aquila, M.D.
Medical Director and Director of the Center for Leadership and Education, Fountain House
Director, HRH/Brightpoint Health Sidney R. Baer Jr. Center
Member, Fountain House
Member, Fountain House
How to protect yourself during Coronavirus/COVID-19
Our best line of defense to stop the rapid spread of COVID-19 is social distancing and
maintaining vigilant hygiene practices.
- Maintain at least a 6-foot distance between yourself and others outside of your Household.
- Stay at home as much as possible. Minimize contact with people outside of the immediate members of your household, especially when traveling outside for basic needs like food and medicine.
- Make sure to practice good hygiene before you leave your home, and when you return. If you go out wear a cloth mask or scarf covering your nose and mouth tightly. Wash them regularly with hot water and soap/detergent.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds on all sides, or use an alcohol-based (minimum 70% alcohol) hand sanitizer.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue, cloth or sleeve when sneezing or coughing—do not use your hands.
- Do not touch your face or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Do not share food, drink or eating utensils with others.
- Regularly clean and disinfect frequently touched items and surfaces, such as phones, computers, bathrooms and doorknobs.
- If you are a smoker, stop using or limit cigarettes and vaping. If you need help quitting, individuals can call the New York State Smokers Quitline at 866-NY-QUITS (866-697-8487).
- Besides these steps, it is important to maintain healthy eating, exercise, and previously necessary medical support. If you need support accessing food and medications, please contact your worker and we will arrange for assistance.
Self-Quarantine Member Support
- Fountain House is committed to providing much-needed support to members who are quarantined during the COVID-19 outbreak. Fountain House knows that quarantines will be especially difficult for our members.
- Staff/members will engage in assertive reach-out and have up-to-date information on the COVID-19 protocols for at-risk members. Coordinated by the Units & Silver Center.
- We will have a virtual community using WebEx during normal programming hours for people to communicate and receive supports. Supported and coordinated by the Media & Technology Center.
- We will support meal delivery services for members from the Culinary Unit to ensure proper nutrition and to support the quarantine. ERC will coordinate with Jack Rabbit and the Culinary Unit.
- Members without technological access to WebEx will be able to borrow Cricket phones to access the clubhouse during the period of their quarantine. Coordinated by Media & Technology Center.
- Reach Out notes on Self Quarantined members will be reviewed by the Program Director to determine if they may return or if there is a need for greater medical intervention and support.
- Self-quarantined members will have access to greater warm-line services even after hours. This will be coordinated by Residential staff.
- Self-Quarantined members will also receive a cleaning kit with easy to follow instructions. This will be coordinated by Home & Garden (and delivered via Jack Rabbit).
- Fountain House will create a Clinical Support Team to provide emergency counseling and prescription medication support for those in Quarantine. This will be coordinated by Dr. Ralph Aquila.
Self-Quarantined members will receive a list of supports available for the duration of their quarantine.